Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Behind the Counter

No matter what happens in my life, I know as soon as I get behind that counter I can forget about it for a little while.
Of course the troubles never disappear completely.
But I can be distracted for a bit.
Behind the counter everything has its place.
Behind the counter there is way to do things.
Behind the counter nothing changes.
I can depend on my day going a certain way when I'm at work because not much changes from day to day. I can expect certain things:
rude customers
dirty counters
cups falling on the floor
getting burned at least oce
spilling milk at least once (and not crying about it!)
coffee in bags
flat tops vs. sippy lids
cups, lids, sugars, milks, etc...needing to be stocked
employees getting pissed off at the rude customers
the ebb and flow of the day.

It's almost restful to be there, I can go on autopilot and not over think.
And I can leave and not take anything with me, just resume my hectic, sometimes overwhelming life.

No comments: