Friday, December 21, 2007

Steve

I have a crush. On a customer. Again.

He is funny. He is a smart ass.

His presence makes me knock things over. Drop things. Trip.

I get excited when he comes in.
I laugh too much.
I talk too loud.
I blush too deeply.
My adrenaline rushes so hard while he sits in the cafe that I get exhausted when he leaves.

He likes me too. I can tell. You can always tell. There is a difference between the customers who like flirting with you, the customers that think you are cute/hot and the customers that are actually interested.
The interested ones ask questions about your life outside the coffee shop. He will try to get you to cross the sacred barrier between the counter and the cafe. He will ask you out.
If you are not interested he is always easy to deflect. When the moment is right, there is no one else at the counter, your co-workers are elsewhere working he will ask when you get off of work. He will offer drinks. If he particularly dense he will ask you out to coffee. If you are not interested you simply reply that you have plans with your boyfriend, but thanks for asking, maybe another time? It does not matter if you have a boyfriend or not, use this excuse.

If you are interested, say yes.

What if you suspect a girlfriend?
How do you find out?

He asked me out once, twice, three times. I said no all three times.
I don't know why.
Because I didn;t know him that well yet, he was still a new customer.
Because I am an idiot.
The third time she was there. He asked me to lunch. I said no because I actually did have plans that time. I would have said yes otherwise.
She watched us talk, flirt, exchange glances.
After that, the offers stopped.
After that she stopped coming in.
After that we had a party for our customers.
She was with him the whole time.
When she wasn't, I would move in. She would appear a minute later on the other side of him, or jam herself in between us.
As she got drunker she touched him more. Got closer. Displayed her possesion of him.
He didn't stop it, but he never initiated it either. He never displayed exclusive intrest in her. He still paid most of his attention to me.

I don't know what to think.
He does not come in as frequently.
But when he does there is a spark. It hits me in the chest. Shocks me.
Makes me trip.

We will find out.
Coffee girls react as a pack in a case like this.
We use our wiles, resources, connections and inside scoops to get to the bottom of any situation worth our attention.

Time to set the girls to work.

No comments: